Moving can be such a stressful process! From buying the boxes and packing up all of your stuff to loading it all onto a truck. Rarely do you hear someone say, "I had so much fun moving!"
Hiring a moving company can take a lot of the pressure off. However, moving companies are not all the same. Hiring the wrong moving company can add even more stress than you had before the move! Here are 10 important questions to ask moving companies while calling around to get quotes:
1) Is your company licensed? - This is very important and not only ensures the safety of your belongings but it lets you know that you are listening to a reputable company!
2) What if I need switch the time I need to move, is there a cancelation fee? People have to change their moving times frequently because they do not end up closing on their house when they expected! Make sure that changing times is okay with the company and will not cost you more money.
3) Can you pack my items or simply carry out the big items? Many people do not want anything to do with the moving process. If you are one of them make sure you are asking the moving company if they are a full service moving company. If not, you may want to find another!
4) Do you have full-time employees or do you use temporary workers? You want people in your house carrying your household items that know what they are doing! Make sure that you know exactly who will be moving your important items.
5) Do you carry Workers Compensation for your employees? Once again, if it is a reputable company they will carry this. You do not want to be hiring a company that does not.
6) Will my items be ensured during the move? If something happens to go wrong during your move you want to know that your items will be covered! Many companies will have an additional fee for this or will not at all so you want to know going into the move!
7) What kind of training have your movers and drivers had? So that you can get the best movers and drivers possible make sure that they have had plenty of experience. Do they have extra household that the movers and drivers practice with?
8) Is this a free estimate? Although one would assume the initial estate is free, you want to make sure of it! You can never ask too many questions.
9) What are your payment options? Does the moving company need all of your money upfront can they be more flexible with you. Some moving companies will hold your items on their truck until you pay them. That is not a situation that you want to be in so make sure that the company you chose will not do this!
10) What are ALL of your charges? Is it easy for a moving company to say a very low hourly price but turn around and have a million hidden charges! Make sure you ask this question and also ask specific fees they may have. These can be anything from a stair fee to a heavy item fee.
Although hiring a moving company can save you time and a few grey hairs you want to make sure that you do your research!